Fingerprinting / Live Scan
Please read all information below before making an appointment.
What is Live Scan?
Live Scan is inkless electronic fingerprinting. The fingerprints are electronically transmitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ) for completion of a criminal record check.
Is an appointment required for Live Scan service?
YES, we are not able to accept walk-in appointments.
You may schedule your appointment online by selecting the required service below. Please be prompt for your appointment. If you are late, you will have to reschedule your appointment or wait for the next available opening. Missed appointments may be assessed a fee of $34.
What is the cost for Live Scan?
When making an appointment, applicants are encouraged to verify costs and fees applicable for the particular Live Scan service needed. Common services and fees are listed on the booking link for your reference. If the service needed is not listed, please refer to the Applicant. Fingerprint Processing Fee table below.
Live Scan Fees:
Rolling Fee: $39
- Rolling fee is in addition to the prices listed on services below
- DOJ and FBI fees are additional
- Other fees may apply if mandated by the Applicant’s requesting agency
Inked Fingerprint Cards: $34 per card
Payment methods: Cash (exact change) or company checks only.
Debit (ATM), credit cards, and personal checks are not accepted.
Payment, exact change cash or company check
What do I need to bring to my Live Scan appointment?
1. REQUEST FOR LIVE SCAN SERVICE” (form BCII8016)
- The “REQUEST FOR LIVE SCAN SERVICE” (form BCII8016), should be already completed by the agency or person who is requesting you to be fingerprinted. The form must be legible (typed or printed clearly). We will keep the original form, if you or the requesting agency wants a copy please bring the appropriate number of copies with you. If the Applicant Submission, Contributing Agency Information, or Level of Service fields are not completed on your form, then we will not be able to process your transaction. This information must be supplied by the agency requesting you to be fingerprinted.
2. Valid photo ID required. Forms of ID accepted:
- California Driver’s License or ID card
- US Military ID
- Out of state Driver’s License of ID card
- Mexican Consulate card
*Minors not possessing a driver’s license can use a student body card as a form of ID.
3. Payment, exact change cash or company check
Live Scan Hours:
- Monday - Friday:
- 9:00AM – 11:30AM
1:00PM – 3:30PM
*Last daily appointment available is at 3:30PM
If you do not have access to the internet, you may make an appointment by phone at (650) 599-1520.
Please select the service you require to complete your Live Scan application. The Request for Live Scan Service Form must be completed by the agency or person who is requesting you to be fingerprinted prior to you booking an appointment.
The Sheriff’s Office Moss Beach Substation also provides Live Scan fingerprint service. For more information or to schedule an appointment there, please call (650) 573-2801.
Where can I get additional information about fingerprint background checks?
Information for Employers: oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/agencies
State of California Department of Justice: oag.ca.gov/fingerprints
FBI Identity History Summary Checks: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD): http://www.cdss.ca.gov/inforesources/Community-Care-Licensing
To make an appointment for fingerprinting/live scan, please follow the below instructions:
- Select the appropriate category of service on the left
- Select the type of service needed on the right by clicking on the corresponding BOOK button.